In honor of summer and the weekend, we are going to look at a few vegan barbecue meals over the next few days. This meal is very nutritious with 16 grams of protein and 4.5 grams of healthy fats, and best of all, it is vegan. Yes, your next BBQ can be completely vegan! Lets see how to prepare it.
Special BBQ Tempeh Bowl
INGREDIENTS: (1 Serving)
- 2 cups leafy greens (baby lettuces used)
- 4 ounces tempeh, sliced into thin triangles
- 2 Tbsp BBQ sauce (bottled or homemade) – smoky-sweet flavor
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup sprouts
- 1 tangerine, peeled and sliced segments
- 1 cup baked or grilled, cubed sweet potato
- Super Easy Vegan Ranch:
- 1 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- a few pinches of black pepper (a pinch for the dressing and a pinch for the skillet onions)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, for pan
- (Done ahead of time: veggie dicing prep and cooking and dicing the sweet potato) — Warm a skillet over high heat, add the extra virgin olive oil.
- When oil is hot, add the tempeh triangles to one side of the pan, the onion to the other. Sauté for two minutes, then flip triangles. When flipped, you can smother the tempeh in the BBQ sauce. Cook for another 1-3 minutes, or until the edges begin to blacken. Flip a few more times during this cooking process. Flip the onions a few times as well – trying not to get too much BBQ sauce on them. Tip: If the tempeh gets too dry in the pan add a teaspoon or two of water.
- Sprinkle some fresh black pepper over top the onions and turn off stove heat. Set pan aside.
- In your serving bowl, add the leafy greens. Tip: If you want more flavor, toss your greens in oil + vinegar or lemon juice before plating. But the bowl as is has a ton of flavor for those greens. Then top with the warm skillet tempeh, onions, sprouts, citrus, avocado and sweet potato.
- For the dressing: Whisk the ingredients together (vegan mayo, lemon, maple, black pepper) and drizzle over top the bowl. Serve! Tip: For a thicker, richer dressing, use less lemon juice. You can also add cayenne or another spice like chipotle or smoked paprika to accent the dressing. Enjoy!
I hope in these next few days I can prepare you for BBQing while being vegan. Over the next few days it is all we will talk about! Thanks for stopping by!
Brought to you by Jump In Wellness — Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook @Jumpinwellness