This vegan cheese is amazing. It seriously tastes like real cheese and has the crumbly texture of feta. Baking the final dish makes it warm and crispy on the outside, but soft and gooey on the inside. Also, this will be a lengthy process and you will need some patience. You will soak blanched almonds for 24 hours, blend, chill overnight, and bake it for 35-40 minutes. But the final ‘cheese’ is worth the wait. Try it out before your next get-together!
Baked Almond Feta “Cheese” With Herb Oil
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves
1. Place almonds in medium bowl, and cover with 3 inches cold water. Let soak 24 hours. Drain soaking liquid, rinse almonds under cold running water, and drain again.
2. Purée almonds, lemon juice, 3 Tbs. oil, garlic, salt, and 1/2 cup cold water in food processor 6 minutes, or until very smooth and creamy.
3. Place large strainer over bowl, and line with triple layer of cheesecloth. Spoon almond mixture into cheesecloth. Bring corners and sides of cloth together, and twist around cheese, forming into orange-size ball and squeezing to help extract moisture. Secure with rubber band or kitchen twine. Chill 12 hours, or overnight. Discard excess liquid.
4. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap cheese (it will be soft), and transfer from cheesecloth to prepared baking sheet. Flatten to form 6-inch round about 3/4-inch thick. Bake 40 minutes, or until top is slightly firm. Cool, then chill. (Cheese can be made up to this point 2 days ahead; keep refrigerated.)
5. Combine remaining 1/4 cup oil, thyme, and rosemary in small saucepan. Warm oil over medium-low heat 2 minutes, or until very hot but not simmering. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle herb oil over cheese just before serving. Enjoy!
Tomorrow I will share the final part of this awesome vegan cheese platter. This is the Raw-berry Chia Jam. It tastes super good so I know you guys will like it. Thank you guys for stopping by and let me know how you like this recipe!